Saturday, August 20, 2005

En Passant

It's a warm, sunny day and I'm walking past the projects. Some godawful sputtering truck passed by two minutes ago, and I still taste exhaust.



Anyway, I'm just coming up on two old fellas and a woman seated round a fold-up table on the grass. The mediterranean fella with the huge-rimmed 1950s glasses is holding a pawn above a board, considering his move. He's got that "I've been playing chess 60 years" look. He's really focused.

Distinguished "Old World" folks playing some chess in the shade. Nice day for it.

I'm past them, and I hear *click-pop* *rattle*.

I know that sound. I turn to confirm that they are in fact playing Pop-o-matic Trouble.




Thing is, I'm passing back that way two hours later. They're still out there, and 50s glasses guy is writing the lady a check.

Ramses says:
The white queen's ass, esse--
I'm not impressed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Butch said...

Chess is an entirely left brain activity. Fuck it. I think it would be cooler if we had computers out in the park playing eachother at chess.

Pop-o-matic bubble helped me decide to keep my baby. Soooo much smarter than the magic 8 ball.

August 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you trafficking in racist stereotypes! Great job! It's nice to know that racism is a live and well. A "black" chess piece thug robbing a "white" chess piece professional. Wow! O, for the good old days when blacks were seen as semi-humans not deserving of respect and dignity, and whites were always right, kind, decent folks victimized by the tyranny of black criminals...

You really are pig!

July 23, 2006  
Blogger martyjohns said...

Hey, thanks for your comments.

On my next drawing, I'll be sure to write "this image is intentionally ridiculous" so internet crusaders such as yourself won't go all pants-twisty.

Oink.

P.S. Are you that nice lady I bollocked for professional plagiarism?

September 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I am a black pawn and when a white pawn robbed me, it took the bishops 45 minutes to show up!! They CLAIMED it was because they could only move diagonally, but we know that's just the Kasparov, tryin to keep us down. Moving second...now WHAT IS UP WIDDAT?

Don't even get me started on Othello, or Blackjack.

You truly are noun.
All your base are now belong to us.

September 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home